Very exciting news guys, the moment has arrived, I have received my Viome Gut Test results and I can’t wait to share them with you!! In my first Viome blog post, I explain exactly what the Viome Gut Test is and the benefits you can gain from taking the test.. If you haven’t yet read it, you can go give it a quick read here
[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row][vc_row][vc_column][vc_single_image image=”726″ img_size=”full” alignment=”center”][vc_column_text]After learning about the Viome Gut Test through my holistic health coaching studies at the Institute for Integrative Nutrition I decided to try out the gut microbiome test, which examines every organism in your microbiome as to form targeted recommendations on which foods to eat or avoid.
While I’ve had tons of digestive and skin problems in the past (major bloating, food sensitivities, adult acne etc.) at the time of my test, my digestion was okay despite the bloating after almost all meals .
My intention for doing this test is to optimize my digestion and say goodbye to the awful skin breakouts and hello to that beautiful, healthy skin glow!
In addition to this blog, I will be posting another blog, after following the recommended foods to eat, avoid and minimise. I’ll share even deeper results with you all, I am so excited!
Here are my results and what you can expect if you want to give it a go.
Once you have downloaded the Viome app on your phone or on your laptop you will see your results which look something like this
[/vc_column_text][vc_row_inner][vc_column_inner width=”1/2″][vc_single_image image=”674″ img_size=”full” alignment=”center”][/vc_column_inner][vc_column_inner width=”1/2″][vc_single_image image=”685″ img_size=”full” alignment=”center”][/vc_column_inner][/vc_row_inner][/vc_column][/vc_row][vc_row][vc_column][vc_column_text]
Your results include:
1. An Advanced Microbiome View, with a list of all of the microbes in your gut, including bacteria, viruses, probiotics, parasites, eukaryotes, and archaea.
2. Microbial Richness, the total number of active species in your gut. A higher richness can contribute to the ability of your microbiome to perform a larger variety of functions.
3. Inflammatory Activity indicates whether or not the microbes in your gut are contributing to inflammation there.
4. Foods to Avoid includes a list of specific foods which are unhealthy for your gut health and biodiversity. This could result to a large range of reasons, including your inability to properly break the food down, the food contains a chemical that’s detrimental to your digestion or health, or you have a virus from the food.
5. Your Superfoods are foods that provide the most benefit to your gut health and biodiversity. These are foods that nourish and support your body and can definitely assist you to feel your best.
6. My Supplements includes recommendations for specific ingredients of digestive support supplements and digestive enzymes with again, specific ingredients.[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row][vc_row][vc_column][vc_column_text]On the website/app. you can also see a breakdown of your Microbiome – your metabolic fitness, inflammatory activity, your actual microbial richness, and activity, and you’ll actually see the list of your microbes – Eukaryotes, Viruses, Bacteria, Archaea, and Probiotics. I’ve learned a lot by researching everything on the list.[/vc_column_text][vc_single_image image=”686″ img_size=”large” alignment=”center”][/vc_column][/vc_row][vc_row][vc_column width=”1/3″][vc_column_text]
The dietary recommendations are divided up into the following:
My Foods to Avoid
All Foods – split into:
Proteins & Fats
Fruit & Grains
Herbs, Spices & Other[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][vc_column width=”1/3″][vc_single_image image=”673″ img_size=”full” add_caption=”yes” alignment=”center” el_id=”Viome Gut Test Results “][/vc_column][vc_column width=”1/3″][vc_single_image image=”680″ img_size=”full”][/vc_column][/vc_row][vc_row][vc_column][vc_column_text]Everyone gets different variations within the above, but for example, I’ve been recommended the following: Vegetable Servings – 6 per day, Proteins & Fats – 5 per day, Fruits & Grains – 5 per day, and Herbs, spices & other – 6 per day.
Everything on my foods list is basic, whole, healthy foods that are easy to prep and taste fantastic..[/vc_column_text][vc_row_inner][vc_column_inner width=”1/2″][vc_column_text]
Foods To Avoid
The Foods to Avoid tab is pretty straightforward. These are the foods you should experiment with by removing from your diet. The Viome gut test provides explanations for why these don’t work well with your microbiome.
There are only 14 foods for me to avoid (half of which I already do). For the others, I do enjoy them, however, I’ve had a bit of a feeling that they aren’t great for me, namely cauliflower, white rice, cashews and quinoa. Doing the test confirmed my suspicion.. and there I was making superfood smoothie bowls on the daily, with cauliflower as my base and main ingredient – Thinking I was doing my body wonders with all the ‘superfoods’ when in fact I was doing more damage than anything – Superfood, not so much for me! (One mans food may be another mans poison)
It’s important that you know that these recommendations are sound for roughly 90 days, and so it is recommend that you retest as your gut heals and your microbiome changes.[/vc_column_text][/vc_column_inner][vc_column_inner width=”1/2″][vc_single_image image=”683″ img_size=”full”][/vc_column_inner][/vc_row_inner][/vc_column][/vc_row][vc_row][vc_column][vc_column_text]
Superfoods – these are foods that have components that your body really needs
There are some foods labelled ‘minimise’ which are ones that are good for you, but have things in them that your body needs in LIMITED amounts.
I was a bit relieved yet shocked at the same time to see the superfoods section, a few firm favourites such as salmon and avocado.. Thank the pope as I cannot imagine the next 90 days without the good old avo! I was advised to eat plenty of leafy greens, wild salmon, herbs, and ginger. There are 10 foods on my superfood list, together with a brief explanation and links to research on why these foods are well-suited on behalf of me and my microbiome.[/vc_column_text][vc_single_image image=”684″ img_size=”large” alignment=”center”][/vc_column][/vc_row][vc_row][vc_column][vc_column_text]
The supplements section recommends specific digestive support and digestive enzymes.
My Foods – Full List
There is also a tab where you’ll search nearly every food, to see whether it’s a superfood, okay to enjoy, limit, or avoid.
While I was only advised to avoid 14 foods, I was told to minimize over 100 other foods, including coconut oil, green tea, broccoli, sweet potato as well as egg yolks, oats, dates, kombucha and so the list goes on. This is a bit of a bummer, but I’ll manage.
Advanced Microbiome View
Under the Advanced Microbiome view, you can see a list of hundreds of different microbes residing in your gut. This includes bacteria, viruses, probiotics, parasites, eukaryotes, and archaea.
You may recognize a number of the organisms (for example, a strain of bacteria within the probiotic you take) but most will probably be foreign to you. Taking this to your Functional Medicine Doctor or Holistic Health Coach can be helpful.
Ultimately, though, the gain of getting an intensive snapshot of your microbiome is that Viome uses this data to create personalised food recommendations.[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row][vc_row][vc_column][vc_column_text]As mentioned above, I’ll be retesting after 90 days and will keep you all updated with my results.
If you’re interested in ordering the kit and finding out exactly what your superfoods and foods to avoid list are, then simply click here
I am so excited about this journey and sharing it with you all..
Please feel free to give me a shout if you have any questions and please do leave a comment in the comment box below if you try the test, I would love to know your results![/vc_column_text][vc_single_image image=”642″ img_size=”full” alignment=”center”][/vc_column][/vc_row]