It’s been a long, naughty winter with a whole lot of comfort food and over indulging at my place, and what hasn’t helped is that all the gyms have been closed over lockdown. A few more larger tummy roles and love handles are now apparent, my energy is on an all time low and I can’t remember the last time I had a good nights sleep.. BUT it’s a new season—a fresh start— and with summer around the corner, what better way to kick it off than with our 5 Day Spring Clean Detox?
While this is not the typical juice detox – as I’m not the biggest fan when it comes to juice fasts. My belief is that we can effectively cleanse and lose weight for the long run with nourishing wholefoods as opposed to quick fix extremities.. But, there are a few juices in the mix and smoothies for easy digestion to kick start the 5 days of cleansing and detoxing.
September is a good time to help our bodies catch up with detoxification—. Its the perfect time to cleanse your body – to eat cleaner, more fresh food, rid your environment of toxins, get active and restart your system to give your detox organs a chance to rest and recover!
The bad guys that we eliminate in this five-day spring clean detox are:
- gluten and wheat
- nightshades (tomatoes, eggplants, peppers, potatoes)
- refined sugar
- white rice
- eggs and soy
- red meat
- refined Carbs
- nuts and seeds (Due to possible mould)
Instead, we opt for seasonal veggies (lots of leafy greens), fresh, low sugar fruit (berries and green apples are best), gluten-free grains (like quinoa, brown rice, buckwheat), high quality fish and coconut oil in your cooking.
During the next five days, focus on the following five principles:
- Anti-inflammatory foods: Combat harmful inflammation from sugar, dairy, and alcohol with ample fruits, vegetables, whole grains, spices and quality fats (such as avocado).
- Fat + fiber + protein: Make sure this trio appears in your meals to keep your blood sugar balanced and your stomach satiated, so you don’t continue to overeat.
- Hydration: Start each day with a glass of filtered water plus the juice of half of a lemon + hydrolysed peptin collagen. Continue hydrating yourself with water and herbal teas throughout the day.
- Exercise: Find exercise that you enjoy and get into a routine, or plan for the very least half an hour of something that gets your heart rate going – daily.
- Balance: This 5 day detox plan is filled with easy, simple dishes. If you happen to stray off track, be gentle with yourself and remember that each meal is a new opportunity for your best health.
We want you to make these 5 days as easy and fuss free as possible, so do your own thing if it’s not feeling right. if you still feel hungry after a meal, have some more so you feel satisfied and nourished. Our detox guide is not about deprivation, and it doesn’t have to be prescriptive. There are lots of ways to make this experience your very own.
Let us know what you’re cooking, how you’re doing, and how you’re making it yours. You’ll find us in our Facebook group – The Goodness Hunter or @thegoodnesshunter on Instagram.
Grocery shop + Prep!
Prep for the weeks smoothies and juices. Cut + prepare fruits and veggies for each days smoothie and juice. Store in a Tupperware or ziplock bag. Freeze the prepped produce for the smoothies and refrigerate the prepped veggies for your juicing convenience.
Cleanse shopping list:
- Herbal teas: Dandelion root, chamomile, lemon and ginger, green tea, rooibos tea
- Apple Cider Vinegar
- Salt – Himalayan
- Fresh ginger
- Fresh Tumeric or organic Tumeric powder
- Peppercorns – ground pepper
- Fresh/dried herbs- parsley, mint, basil, rosemary
- Spices – turmeric, cayenne pepper, cinnamon
- Spirulina (You can do it! 🙂 )
- Organic and clean sources of protein – wild caught white fish and wild salmon
- Ground Flaxseed
- Chia seeds
- Extra virgin coconut oil and olive oil
- Filtered water
- Brassica – kale, cauliflower, broccoli, cabbage
- Lettuce – of choice
- Dark leafy greens – spinach, kale
- Bitter greens – rocket/arugula, endives, radicchio and dandelion greens
- All berries, fresh or frozen
- Green apples (Granny Smith)
- Paw Paw / Papaya
- Bananas (Although bananas are high in sugar, we add them into a few smoothies for the potassium and to keep everything in well balance)
Optional but HIGHLY recommended:
The powerful cleansers and suggestions that I like taking for that extra help during the 5 days are:
– Beetroot powder with ginger, turmeric, curcumin + Bioperine for maximum absorption – I like this particular one
Detoxing and beetroot fact…
The compounds present in beets break down and surround toxins present in the liver and easily flush it out of the body. Beets help in blood purification and this means your liver gets its daily round of detoxing with beets. Beets are also rich in iron, vitamin B, and calcium which help in proper elimination of bile.
– Collagen Powder with Lemon Water. The collagen that I use and love is the Naked collagen by Beauty Gen
While collagen is amazing for skin, joints, bones and so on it is also excellent for detox purposes. Collagen is incredibly helpful with regards to detoxifying the body of harmful substances because it contains glycine which the liver makes use of in Phase II detoxification .
– A liver formula that contains a mix of herbs and nutrients to help flush your system. (My beetroot powder as above mentioned as well as Milk Thistle)
-Magnesium Cirate/dyglincate at night.
MONDAY – DAY 1
Flush the Digestive System With Magnesium and Prebiotics
Prebiotics stimulate the growth of healthy bacteria to aid digestion and magnesium relaxes your digestive system to flush everything out. Power up on these with asparagus, spinach, banana, avocado, and almonds.
Start the cleanse with the first day being juices, smoothies and a soup to allow your gastrointestinal (GI) system the much needed break it’s needing. Bloating and distention is often a result of build-up in your digestive system so opting for liquids for one day is a gentle way to let your system cleanse itself out.
- Pre-breakfast: Large glass of warm water with lemon + Collagen.
- Breakfast: A kale or spinach, fennel, parsley, lemon, green apple, asparagus (or any predominately green juice) juice. If you do not have a juicer, you can blend all the ingredients together and have it as a smoothie.
- Lunch: Smoothie of kale, ¼ avocado, ½ banana, spring water, half a green apple, 1/2 cup of frozen blueberries, half a lemon juiced, 1 tsp spirulina and ice, ½ cup of water.
- Papaya, Lime, Ginger smoothie. Blend 1 cup of papaya, ½ banana, ½ lime juice, small knob of ginger with a little ice and a ¼ cup of filtered water.
- Snack: Green Juice + beetroot powder stirred/blended into your juice
- Dinner: Pumpkin and ginger soup. (Leave out the coconut milk. If you have IBS or are on a LOW FODMAP diet, then leave out the onion and garlic too)
TUESDAY – DAYS 2 – 4: Reduce Inflammation With Sulfur-Rich Foods
Sulfur aids in the detoxification of your body (reducing inflammation) that is believed to contribute to weight gain. On these days, you’ll have juice in the morning, a snack, and two small meals.
Add these sulfur-rich foods to your diet:
• Collard greens
- Pre-breakfast: A large glass of warm water with lemon + collagen
- Breakfast: Green juice (you continue to drink green juice because it is a great quick way to supply your body’s cells with nutrients and energy).
- Lunch: Red Pepper Gazpacho and a well-chopped (for easier digestion) salad with asparagus, lemon, and avocado. TIP add lettuce cups and fill them up with the avo and drizzle with the red pepper gazpacho – Such a good combo and so satisfying!
- Collagen Detox Smoothie – 2 handfuls of organic spinach, 1/3 cucumber, Thumb sized piece of ginger, chopped, A little grated fresh turmeric root or turmeric powder (optional) + a pinch of black pepper, Juice of 1 organic lemon, Fresh mint leaves, 1 scoop of good quality hydrolyzed collagen powder, Half an avocado flesh, few slices of banana, 1 tbsp wheatgrass/spirulina powder (optional), flitered water as needed, pour into your serving glasses and sip slowly.
- Snack: Grapefruit / Bowl of berries / Cup of papaya with lime juice
- Dinner: Wild caught salmon/Tuna Steak / White fish over grilled vegetables (zucchini, carrots, onions, asparagus). – NB ONLY use coconut oil when cooking. Here’s why you should NEVER cook with olive oil or other certain oils while cooking.
WEDNESDAY – DAY 3
- First things first – Pre-breakfast: A large glass of warm water with lemon + collagen
- Breakfast: Green juice
- Lunch: Steamed vegetables of choice with fresh herbs, drizzled with olive oil and crushed pumpkin seeds. Combine this with 1/2 cup of organic brown rice/quinoa/buckwheat
- Snack: Small bowl of berries OR Collagen Detox smoothie
- Dinner: Beetroot Detox soup. (Skip the coconut milk as dressing)
THURSDAY – DAY 4
- Pre-breakfast: A large glass of warm water with lemon + Collagen
- Breakfast: Green juice.
- Lunch: Collard greens wrap stuffed with red pepper, carrot, sprouts, avo and a carrot ginger dip. For the dip – Steam 1 cup of peeled carrots, allow to cool, then throw into your blender with a knob of peeled ginger, 1 ½ tbsp of olive oil, ½ clove of ginger, black pepper and a pinch of Himalayan salt – Blend until creamy and voila.- SO easy!
- Snack: Papaya with lime
- Dinner: Broccoli and Spinach detox soup
Day 5: Boost Metabolism With Fibre
On the fifth day you’ll eat mini-meals to keep your body digesting and burning calories all day long. A mini-meal consists of one serving (4-6 ounces) of protein (roughly the size of a deck of cards) and one cup of fibre.
Pre-breakfast: A large glass of water with lemon + collagen
Breakfast: Green juice.
Meal 2: Blueberry smoothie – ½ cup of frozen organic blueberries, ¼ avo, ½ banana, ½ cup of filtered water + 2 scoops of my go to plant protein powder in coconut vanilla.
Meal 3: One apple
Meal: Small salad, cucumber asparagus, olive oil, and vinegar.
Meal 5: Steamed artichoke/cauliflower.
Meal 6: Grilled fish with greens how ever you like them – ‘your way’ , asparagus, garlic, and lemon.
On Day 6, continue a relaxed version of this cleanse to transition yourself into a healthier way of eating.
If you’re interested in any of my essential detox products mentioned, (Collagen, Beet Root Powder) or my absolute favorite Super Food Plant Protein Powder, then you’re in for a treat…
I am running an exclusive, newsletter sign up with Spring discounts during the month of September – So go sign up today in order to qualify for these great offers
A little sneak peak of what’s on offer – Spring Detox Essentials
Please leave a comment in the comment box below, I would love to hear if you will be joining us on our Spring Clean 5 Day Detox – I so hope to hear from you all 🙂
Signing out and sending love as always